Traditional Irish Soda Bread
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) of butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 batch of Whipped Honey Butter
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Blend dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Add butter to dry ingredients and rub butter with your fingers to incorporate until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add buttermilk and mix with spoon for 20 seconds to combine until the dough holds together.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface 10 times
- Shape into a slightly flattened round loaf.
- Place on a floured baking sheet.
- Cut 3/4 inch deep “X” onto the loaf.
- Dust with a bit of flour.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lay a damp cloth over top to cool.
- Serve with Whipped Honey Butter and enjoy!