Whole Wheat Oatmeal Honey Bread
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Wildflower Honey
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Allspice
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 cups unbleached flour
- Combine water, oats, brown sugar, honey, butter, salt, and allspice. Let cool 15 minutes.
- Add the yeast and flours, stirring to form a rough dough. Knead (about 10 minutes by hand) until the dough is smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow to rise for 1 hour. Since the dough is warm to begin with (from the boiling water), it should become quite puffy.
- Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a loaf. Place the loaves in two greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" bread pans.
- Cover the pans with lightly greased plastic wrap and allow the loaves to rise until they've crowned about 1" over the rim of the pan, about 60 to 90 minutes.
- Bake the loaves in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, tenting them lightly with aluminum foil after 25 minutes, to prevent over-browning. Remove them from the oven when they're golden brown.
- Turn the loaves out onto a rack to cool.